HOMESTEAD FOR SALE
Resilient homestead North Shore of Nova Scotia
River John, Nova Scotia
It is time to begin the process of downsizing as we enter another stage of life. We are thus considering offers on our homestead. We are caretakers (aka owners) of a piece of paradise with million dollar views of the Cobequid mountains. This property can support a small village which had been our intention as we attempted to create an intentional community; alas most peeps still want to do their own thing. Have owned the land for almost 20 years and could be deemed organic right away as we have never applied any non-organic type of inputs. Very isolated, only 2 good people neighbours, minimal traffic. Perfect opportunity for market garden or simply a hobby farm, or for those seeking a safe & secure space to live out the coming planetary challenges.
The following is included:
- total acreage approx. 40 acres in 2 parcels (house is a separate PID): 35 acres of field mowed annually for hay used for deep mulch on the garden & animal bedding, 5 acres 'old' growth
- dirt road frontage on 2 sides, 8 km from River John/hwy 6/Sunrise trail (gas station, convenience store, library, post office, beer/booze store, seasonal coffee shop), 15 minutes to Tatamagouche (local hospital, grocery store, restaurants), 40 minutes to Truro (major center for all your needs), 45 to New Glasgow, 1 hr 15 to airport, 1 hr 45 min to Halifax
- 1 pond
- several self-reinforcing permaculture systems, fields are a perfect candidate for regenerative agriculture (beef farming)
- live willow fencing around garden, and conventional fencing to create a security perimeter, viewing platform in trees close to house
- renovated small barn, metal storage shed
- bungalow: 1000 sq ft, drilled well, propane cooking, comes with applicances (20 year old but fully functioning former energy star rated: 2 fridges, one large & one small freezer, Premier propane cook stove & oven, 10 yr old small capacity washing machine), 10 yr old energy efficient Cascade hot water heater, loop driveway, vinyl siding, steel roof, open concept living space with kitchen, dining room, living room & den area, master bedroom, small guest bedroom, maple hardwood floor throughout, mutilpurpose room access to attic with further storage & cellulose insulation in 2019 (solar set up, freezers, washing machine, food & other storage), 4 piece bathroom, small tool & storage room, crawl space, woodstove heat (lifetime supply of wood to harvest), passive solar heating from a large greenhouse attached to the house walkin via sliding doors off of main room, new 2023 heatpump installed in main living area
- Can include various gardening and farming implements, e.g. planting pots, some hand tools, harrow, sickle mower, etc...
- 85 foot drilled well - excellent water well never runs dry, several natural springs & surface wells on property, seasonal creeks that with some ditch work could run longer for possible micro hydro
- septic predates our purchase of the property, never had a problem with it but we do not know the state of it, buyer purchases as is
- solar power set up 2.1 kw, 48 volt, 8 batteries which have been replaced once already in the past few years, can be expanded, still connected to the grid but does not feed into it (if you wanted to do this you need to get additional piece of equipment and the batteries have to be stored in a separate building)
- wind turbine set up (requires redoing of the concrete anchors, has spare turbine & other parts)
- 2 gutted school buses, i) not suitable to being renovated into a skoolie and taken on the road. instead used for storage and greenhouse, possible future housing, ii) gutted and ready for renovations to make it into a tiny home
- 2 40 ft shipping containers, one with HC, i) fully renovated as off living studio apartment with composting toilet, on demand propane shower, pump foot sink, woodstove heat, furnished; ii) bay window installed and ready for renovations to make it into a tiny home
- 1/2 acre fenced garden with a dozen raised garden beds, establlished asparagus beds (harvest sold to CSA annually), strawberries
- established grape vines (wine varieties & concord), rhubarb, hardy kiwi, blueberry, haskap, sour cherry, wild plum, pears, walnut, butternut, hazelnut trees planted 2021, lots of apple trees of different varieties
- 3 chicken coops: 1 small for seasonal meat birds, all critter resistant, if you want you can have our chickens at this there are 11 - 10 hens & one rooster
- farmers markets nearby: River John, Tatamagouche, Pugwash, Truro, New Glasgow
$249,000 (owner financing is not possible)
Land sale option with no structures - separate from the above home & land: Perfect oppotunity for the small scale farmer who wants to do market gardening with land for livestock
We are also selling 28 acres which includes: Approx. 8 acres field mowed annually, a pond, old growth forest with some maple we tap for personal use, new growth planted 2006, seasonal creek, north & west sides have dirt road frontage, electricity access possible. Land contains no structures except old well.
Both opportunities: Located outside of River John, 15 minutes to Tatamagouche, 40 to Truro, 30 to Pictou, 45 to New Glasgow. Covenant document applies restricting environmentally unsustainable practices, e.g. industrial agriculture, commercial mining and clearcut logging, encouraging simple and modest residences, e.g. THOW, offgrid living. Land has not had any industrial ag uses for 20 years so it can be certified organic quickly. $62,000 firm. (Last 3 photos are of this parcel)
Can provide more photos for serious inquiries only.
Please indicate you saw this listing at EcoProperty.ca.